Wednesday, September 15, 2010

To Make A Long Story Short

When your body starts reacting in a new way, when new side effects happen, when you are on chemo, when you are at the end of chemo, when you have started a new drug, when you are crashing into menopause,

it's hard to know, which of these, or all of these, are contributing to what's happening.

That's where I'm at now.

I did not hear back from The Good Witch, so called in to the office today.  It seems to me that all of this took a turn after starting the Cymbalta, but it's hard to say.  Could it all be neuropathy related?  Could it be my body hitting a wall with all the chemo?

I left a message on the chemo nurses line.  It wasn't long before they called.  I explained what was happening and they said they would leave a message for The Good Witch, who is at a different office today.  I explained that I thought I may want to stop the Cymbalta, but had read online you can't just do that cold turkey.  I've only been on it almost two weeks, but even so, I guess you have to gradually get off it.  I told them I had already taken a dose this morning, but was not sure if I should continue with the evening dose.  They said they would call when they heard but if I had not heard from anyone by 4pm or so, to call back in.

Most of the day passed, and when my cell rang with an unknown number, I thought it might be da Good Witch.

It was True North, returning my call from last week regarding my concerns after meeting with Dr. Hands.  I was happy to hear her voice, and we had a very pleasant conversation.  She continues to be optimistic that everything will work out, but suggested it is always a good idea to get a second opinion.  She said that more information only helps me to make a more informed decision.  I told her that we had talked to our insurer, and they had opened "a case" for us where my surgery and the providers will be reviewed and they will decide if they can pay Dr. Hands as a contracted provider.

It takes them about five days or so for them to make their decision.  She said to follow-up with Dr. Hands' office as well, and call her if I have questions or anything changes.

As instructed, I called the chemo nurses back towards the end of the day since I had not heard anything.  They had not heard from the Dr. but said to continue taking the morning dose but not the evening dose.  When I get chemo on Friday, The Good Witch will be at that office and we can discuss then.

I just don't know what is the best thing to do.  It may take awhile before side effects subside and eventually the Cymbalta may help the neuropathy.  In the meantime, I don't know if I think the side effects are worth the end result.

This is the stuff that is crazy making.  I'm hoping I get some clearer direction in the next couple of days.  It really is true that you have to be your own best advocate and if something doesn't feel right, you have to raise your hand and say something.

It's just so hard to know which is which.

In hindsight, I should have discussed more of the possible side effects of Cymbalta before starting it.  I just didn't realize there could be the potential for so many.

I have said before, this is a human process and not exact science, and what works for one person doesn't for another.

Trial and error is another layer of this that can be really challenging.

There is no such thing as one size fits all.

Dang, it is raining cliche's here in Blogland.

I plead chemo brain, not bad writing,

cause I am blind as a bat,
sick as a dog,
a babe in the woods,
crying over spilt milk,
trying to keep a stiff upper lip,
looking for an answer like a needle in a haystack,
but this may be the straw that broke the camel's back,
and last but not least,

thanks for sticking with me through thick and thin.

1 comment:

Jill Nogales said...

Wish I could help you...
But on the bright side, your writing is still terrific!
Thanks for sharing. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...