A really cool thing happened to me today that I am so excited to tell you about. I've been asked by the American Cancer Society (ACS) to be one of their California "Heroes of Hope" for 2012. It's a two year commitment, and this is what it's all about.
The American Cancer Society Relay For Life, California Division profiles cancer survivors who’s work exemplifies the mission of the American Cancer Society.
These cancer survivors show an outstanding commitment to the fight against cancer, by continually offering inspiration through their outstanding presence and significant contribution (time, talents or financial) in their local community through Relay For Life. They exhibit exemplary behavior and inspire hope, courage and determination in the fight to eliminate cancer. These cancer survivors display a resilient attitude and inspire others to choose a pro-active and positive stance in survivorship.
• To identify a select group of cancer survivors with exemplary involvement in Relay For Life.
• To broaden the reach, effectiveness and outreach of survivorship before, during and after Relay For Life.
• To develop a broad and diverse group of Relay For Life cancer survivor spokespersons who actively tell their American Cancer Society story.
Each Survivor selected must be willing to:
• Speak on behalf of Relay For Life and the American Cancer Society in public by telling their “story” and how they benefited from the services and programs of the American Cancer Society.
• Speak at American Cancer Society functions, including Regional Trainings; Event Kick-offs, Rallies, and other opportunities as applicable.
• Grant permission to have his or her story and photograph publicized, promoted and published.
• Represent Relay For Life and the American Cancer Society publicly.
• Be interviewed by media for print articles and/or television/radio as needed
• Help recruit other cancer survivors to attend their local Relay.
• Attend the Heroes of Hope speaker training on September 23-24, 2011 at Division Relay Summit and annual Hero Happenings meetings and activities.
• Complete a partnership agreement.
from the ACS "Heroes of Hope, Profiles of Courage" Overview
Well, Kimberly from ACS, and Kim and Naniglenda from Relay, see what you got me in to???
and I am thrilled!
In the closing of my speech on Survivors Day (which I haven't posted yet but will), I used a quote Kimberly sent me; it's by Emily Dickinson.
We never know how good we are until we are called to rise.
I've been called.
I said yes.
See me rise?
The American Cancer Society Relay For Life - California Division: California Relay For Life Home